EY Law LLP
Tax Law Services
Tax planning, controversy and counsel services
The intricate network of domestic and international tax laws and requirements can pose challenges and risks to your organization.
Whether you require advice in any aspect of the tax spectrum, controversy and dispute resolution assistance with tax authorities at any level, or litigation services in respect of your domestic and cross-border transactions, you need the confidence that our comprehensive tax law team can provide.
Our award-winning tax planning, counsel and litigation teams offer a powerful combination of legal knowledge, experience and national presence to help your organization successfully navigate the complexities of Canada’s tax laws. Our team has been ranked among Canada’s best and a number of our lawyers are widely regarded as leading practitioners and authorities in various areas of tax law and tax litigation, customs and excise and international trade law.
Recent awards include:
- Recognized as a Leading Firm for 2016 by The Legal 500 Canada
- Ranked for Tax by Chambers Canada for 2016
- Ranked for Tax by Chambers Global for 2015
- Named a Top 5 Tax Law Boutique for 2015-2016 by Canadian Lawyer Magazine
- Named a 2015 Ranked Law Firm by Lexpert
Tax planning and counsel
We offer an integrated national service that spans corporate tax, human capital, international tax, transaction tax, sales, customs and excise, and indirect tax. We can advise you on a broad range of tax matters, including providing the legal opinions and risk assessments that help you optimize a broad range of transactions, structures and tax positions, including domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestitures, corporate reorganizations and financing transactions.
We can advise you with respect to customs law value for duty, tariff classification, export controls/sanctions and import controls, duty relief and cross border VAT (GST) and transfer pricing from a customs and cross-border VAT perspective.
We can also advise you on all aspects of international trade law, including anti-dumping, countervailing, safeguard matters before the CBSA and CITT and in other NAFTA and WTO/GATT related matters, including investment restrictions and the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).
EY Law has one of the largest practices in Canada dedicated to tax controversy, including tax litigation. Our Tax Controversy group provides tax controversy services to a wide range of clients, including public and private companies, multinationals, banks, insurance companies, individuals, tax planners and tax transaction advisors. We have experience with all areas of tax, including corporate and personal income tax, indirect tax, customs, international trade and employers’ payroll contributions matters. We also assist clients with transfer pricing documentation, applications for relief under the Mutual Agreement Procedure in Canada’s tax treaties, as well as with voluntary disclosures and applications for rectification.
We have acted for clients at all court levels, including the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada, the Tax Court of Canada, and provincial trial and appellate courts, including the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Court of Appeal of Quebec. We have also represented clients before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal in international trade matters. We have an impressive record of resolving our clients’ disputes with the tax authorities, favourably and efficiently.
Connected across Canada and around the world
We have a strong connection with the cross-Canada network of EY tax professionals, giving us access to former high-ranking individuals in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the Department of Finance, as well as actuaries, economists, certified business valuators, scientists, engineers and industry-focused professionals.
And when your business needs go beyond borders, we can help you get there. We connect you with EY’s global network of tax professionals in 670 offices in 140 countries — ready to assist you with your cross-border controversy or planning issues wherever you’re located or looking to expand.
Our suite of tax law services includes:
- Providing advice and assistance in structuring a tax-effective approach to domestic and international transactions
- Helping with transfer pricing documentation, advance pricing agreements, competent authority requests, advance income tax rulings and voluntary disclosures, as well as with submissions to Finance Canada
- Managing the audit process and advising you on document management and retention strategies
- Helping you respond to audit queries and formal requirements issued by Canadian tax authorities
- Helping you formulate your WTO/GATT compliance strategies and international supply chain structuring
- Advising you on litigation and settlement strategies and negotiations
- Providing you with effective representation before federal and provincial tax authorities, and advocating for you throughout the tax litigation process