Jean-Hugues is a partner of EY Law LLP and a member of the Tax Law Services group, where he focuses primarily on indirect tax matters, to also include Customs, representing clients in disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency, the Canada Border Services Agency and the Quebec Revenue Agency.
Jean-Hugues began his career with the Legal Department of the Quebec Ministry of Revenue in tax litigation, now the Quebec Revenue Agency. Prior to joining EY Law LLP, Jean-Hugues was working for an international accounting firm in Montreal and was the Head of Indirect Tax for North America.
- Called to the Quebec Bar in 1983
- Attended the Masters in Taxation Program at Sherbrooke University in 1982
- Licentiate in Law (LL.L.), Montreal University, in 1981
- Currently the Indirect Tax Practice Leader for EY in Canada and the Americas VAT Leader
- Successfully made representations to have the Ministère du Revenue Act amended to provide for a refund provision in situations of payment of tax made by error otherwise not covered by any Quebec legislation
- Involved in retroactive legislation process under the Excise Tax Act (GST) and the Quebec Sales Tax Act (QST)
- Frequent speaker on Indirect Tax and Customs
- Lecturer at the Masters in Taxation Program at the University of Sherbrooke
- Member of the Quebec Bar Committee set up to study the impact of GST on the legal profession
- Invited by the Department of Finance to analyse the impact of GST in the transportation industry
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, CICA Commodity Tax Advisory Committee, CICA Commodity Tax Committee, and CICA GST Leader
- Member, Association de planification fiscale et financière, and Organizing Committee - Symposium sur les Taxes à la Consommation