Ilia is an associate lawyer with EY Law LLP and a member of the Tax Law Services group. He is a Manager with the International Tax Services group at EY Canada.
Ilia’s practice is primarily focused on outbound tax planning and tax aspects of operations for large Canadian corporations doing business around the globe. This includes planning and implementation of financing, holding, and acquisition structures, as well as day to day operations and supply chain management. Ilia is particularly interested in the mining sector, having worked with many clients in the industry, and having spent two summers working as a crew member for a mineral exploration company. Ilia’s interests also lie in the field of digital economy and in the technological advances shaping the future of cross-border business.
Prior to joining EY Law LLP, Ilia articled with a national law firm in Vancouver. He has participated in a number of business transactions for Canadian and international clients, particularly in the mining sector.
- Barrister and Solicitor (BC), 2012
- Juris Doctor, University of British Columbia, 2011
- Bachelor of Arts, Art History and Literature, University of Victoria, 2006
CPA In Depth Tax Course Level 3, Winner of the Top Year 3 Project Award.
- Young IFA Network (Canada) Committee Member, International Fiscal Association (Canada)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- “No Forex Gain on US-Dollar Debenture Conversion” Canadian Tax Highlights (2016, Vol. 24, Number 7) (co-authored with Daniel Sandler)
- “Taxation of Derivatives” Canadian Tax Highlights (2015, Vol. 23, Issue 5) (co-authored with Angelo Nikolakakis)
- “No Forex Gain on Conversion of USD-Denominated Debentures” Canadian Tax Focus (2015, Vol. 5, Issue 1)