David is a lawyer at EY Law LLP and is a member of the Tax Law Services group. Using his unique combination of both law and accounting (U.S.) designations, David provides clients with a breadth of knowledge and extensive experience practicing business, and taxation law. David focuses on delivering practical and timely expert advice, geared toward clients’ unique circumstances, in tax planning as well as tax dispute matters involving the Canada Revenue Agency and provincial tax authorities.
David has provided tax advice and planning to high net worth, owner/managed and private companies and their shareholders in transactions, including corporate and divisive reorganizations, asset and share purchase and sales, business succession planning and estate freeze transactions.
David has also worked extensively with non-resident clients with legal and tax related structuring in regards to entry into the Canadian business market, as well as cross-border employment, secondments and executive compensation matters.
David has a particular expertise in advising clients throughout the various phases of the audit, assessment and reassessment stages of the tax dispute resolution and litigation process, including audits, Notices of Objection, Notices of Appeal, taxpayer relief applications, judicial reviews and voluntary disclosures.
David has spoken, written and lectured on corporate and taxation topics extensively to groups ranging from students to professionals in Canada and abroad.
David’s knowledge and expertise were recognized by his peers as he was named a “Repeatedly Recommended” practitioner in Corporate Tax Litigation in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and a “LMG Rising Star” in Taxation by Euromoney magazine.
Prior to joining EY Law LLP, David served as the Managing Partner of the affiliated law practice of another accounting firm, where he was responsible for the day-to-day operations of that firm, including overall supervision of all lawyers, law clerks and legal staff. Prior to his Managing Partner role, David was a partner in one of Canada’s leading international law firms.
- Law Society of Ontario, 2003
- Certified Professional Accountant (Maryland), 2002
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Western University, 2002
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, majoring in Accounting, Nichols College, 1997 (Gold Medallist)
- CPA In-Depth Tax Course (Parts I and II)
- Canadian Bar Association Tax Law for Lawyers Course
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former Chair of the Taxation Committee of the Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Former Member of the Planning Committee for the Canadian Tax Foundation’s Ontario Tax Conference
- Former Canadian Tax Reporter for the Taxes Committee of the International Bar Association